- M. Foster, R. Fell, and M. Spannagle, “The statistics of embankment dam failures and accidents,” Can. Geotech. J., vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 1000–1024, 2000. [CrossRef]
- ICOLD, “Bulletin 164 - Internal erosion of existing dams, levees and dikes, and their foundations. Volume 1: Internal erosion processes and engineering assessment,” 2015.
- K. S. Richards and K. R. Reddy, “Critical appraisal of piping phenomena in earth dams,” Bull. Eng. Geol. Environ., vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 381–402, Jul. 2007. [CrossRef]
- S. Bonelli, Erosion in Geomechanics Applied to Dams and Levees. Hoboken, NJ, USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2013. [CrossRef]
- M. E. Glynn and J. K. Kuszmaul, “Prediction of Piping Erosion Along Middle Mississippi River Levees--An Empirical Model (Sept 2004, Revised 2010),” Vicksburg, 2004.
- J. H. Schmertmann, “The No-Filter Factor of Safety Against Piping Through Sands,” in Judgment and Innovation, F. Silva and E. J. Kavazanijian, eds. American Society of Civil Engineers, 2000, pp. 65–133. [CrossRef]
- J. B. Sellmeijer, On the Mechanism of Piping under Impervious Structures, Delft University of Technology, 1988.
- USACE and USBR, “Internal erosion risks,” in Best Practices in Risk Assessment for Dams and Levees, 2012 ed., Denver, CO, 2012.
- E. Goodarzi, “Estimating probability of failure due to internal erosion with event tree analysis,” Electron. J. Geotech. Eng., vol. 15, pp. 935–948, 2010.
- J. D. Rice and L. Polanco, “Reliability-based underseepage analysis in levees using a response surface-monte carlo simulation method,” J. Geotech. Geoenvironmental Eng., 2012.
- T. F. Wolff, Evaluating the reliability of existing levees, Vicksburg, MS, USA, U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center, 1994.
- E. W. Lane, “Security from under-seepage masonry dams on earth foundations,” Trans. ASCE, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 1235–1272, 1935.
- W. G. Bligh, “Dams, barrages and weirs on porous foundations,” Eng. Rec., vol. 64, no. 26, pp. 708–710, 1910.
- H. Sellmeijer, J. López, D. Cruz, V. M. van Beek, and H. Knoeff, “Fine-tuning of the backward erosion piping model through small-scale, medium-scale, and IJkdijk experiments,” Eur. J. Environ. Civ. Eng., vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1139–1154, 2011. [CrossRef]
- B. A. Robbins and V. M. van Beek, “Backward erosion piping : A historical review and discussion of influential factors,” in ASDSO Dam Safety, New Orleans, LA, USA 2015, pp. 1–20.
- J. Lopez de la Cruz, E. Calle, and T. Schweckendiek, “Calibration of piping assessment models in the Netherlands,” in International Symposium on Geotechnical Risk and Safety, 2011, pp. 587–595.
- T. Schweckendiek, On Reducing Piping Uncertainties: A Bayesian Decision Approach, Delft University of Technology, 2014.
- K. Roscoe and A. Hanea, “Bayesian networks in levee system reliability,” in 12th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering, no. 1., 2015.
- J. H. Schmertmann, Report on Flume Tests for Piping and Scour Erosion of HL-2 Sands, 1995.
- F. Townsend, J. H. Schmertmann, T. J. Logan, T. J. Pietrus, and Y. W. Wong, “An Analytical and Experimental Investigation of a Quantitative Theory for Piping in Sand,” Gainesville, Florida, 1981.
- F. Townsend and J.-M. Shiau, Analytical and Experimental Evaluation of Piping and Filter Design for Sands, Gainseville, FL, 1986.
- J. M. de Wit, Research Report on Sand Boil Model Tests, Delft, Netherlands, 1984.
- J. Weijers and J. Sellmeijer, “A new model to deal with the piping mechanism,” Filters in Geotech. Hydraul. Eng., pp. 349–355, 1993.
- I. Kohno, M. Nishigaki, and Y. Takeshita, “Levee failure caused by seepage and preventetive measures,” Nat. Disaster Sci., vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 55–76, 1987.
- H. Muller-Kirchenbauer, M. Rankl, and C. Schlotzer, “Mechanism for regressive erosion beneath dams and barrages,” in Filters in Geotechnical and Hydraulic Engineering, 1993, pp. 369–376.
- V. M. van Beek, Backward Erosion Piping: Initiation and Progression, Technische Universiteit Delft, 2015.
- R. Koenker and K. Hallock, “Quantile regression: An introduction,” J. Econ. Perspect., vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 43–56, 2001. [CrossRef]
E3S Web Conf.
Volume 7, 20163rd European Conference on Flood Risk Management (FLOODrisk 2016)
|Number of page(s)||6|
|Section||Performance and behaviour of flood defences|
|Published online||20 October 2016|