- Abt S.R., Wittler R.J., Taylor A., Love D.J. (1989) Human stability in a high flood hazard zone, Water Resources BulletinVol. 25 No.4, pp. 881–890 [CrossRef]
- A. Barendregt, J.M. van Noortwijk, M.F.A.M. van Maarseveen, S.I.A. Tutert, M.H.P. Zuidgeest and K.M. van Zuilekom. (2002) Evacuation in case of possible flood (in Dutch). HKV lijn in water and University of Twente.
- Clausen, L.K. (1989) Potential Dam Failure: Estimation of Consequences, and Implications for Planning. Unpublished M.Phil. thesis at the School of Geography and Planning at Middlesex Polytechnic collaborating with Binnie and Partners, Redhill.
- BC Hydro. (2006) BC Hydro Life safety modeling environment V2.0 beta User manual.
- di Mauro M, de Bruijn K.M., Meloni M. (2012) Quantitative methods for estimating flood fatalities: towards the introduction of loss-of-life estimation in the assessment of flood risk. Natural Hazards, Vol. 63, 1083–1113. [CrossRef]
- Fiedler W., Osmun D., Engemoen W., Feinberg B. (2014) Reclamations’ new life loss estimation methodology. Paper presented at the 34th annual USSD conference, San Francisco 2014.
- T. Grothmann and F. Reusswig. (2006) People at risk of flooding: why some residents take precautionary action while others do not. Natural Hazards, Vol. 38, pp 101–120. [CrossRef]
- Graham, WJ (1999) A procedure for estimating loss of life caused by dam failure. Dam safety office report DSO-99–6
- Gwynne, S., Galea, E.R., Owen, M., P.J. Lawrence (2002). An investigation of the aspects of occupant behaviour required for evacuation modeling. Edited by P.R. DeCicco. Vol. 2, Evacuation from fires. New York: Baywood Publishing Company, Inc., Amityville.
- IPET (Interagency Performance Evaluation Task Force) (2007) Performance evaluation of the New Orleans and Southeast Louisiana hurricane protection system—volume VII: the consequences, Final report 26 March 2007
- Kolen B. (2013) Certainty of uncertainty in evacuation for threat driven responses, Principles of adaptive evacuation management for flood risk planning in the Netherlands. PhD Thesis University of Nijmegen.
- Johnstone W.M., Sakamoto D., Assaf H., Bourban S. (2005) Architecture, Modelling framework and validation of BC Hydro’s Virtual Reality Life Safety Model, in: Vrijling et al. (eds.) Proceedings of the International Symposium on Stochastic Hydraulics, May 23, 24 2005, Nijmegen, the Netherlands
- Jonkman, S.N., Penning-Rowsell, E. (2008) Human instability in flood flows, Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA)Vol. 44 No. 4 August 1008, pp. 1–11 [CrossRef]
- Jonkman, S.N. (2007) Loss of life estimation in flood risk assessment. Theory and applications. PhD thesisy Delft Universit (354 pag.)
- Jonkman, S.N., Hiel, L.A., Bea, R.G., Foster, H., Tsioulou, A., Arroyo, P., Stallard, T., Harris, L. (2012) Integrated Risk Assessment for the Natomas Basin (CA) Analysis of Loss of Life and Emergency Management for Floods. ASCE Natural Hazards Review,Vol. 13/4 (November 2012), pp. 297–309. [CrossRef]
- Jonkman, S.N., Maaskant, B., Kolen, B., Zethof, M., Lehman, W. (2013b) Loss of life, evacuation and emergency management–comparison and application to case studies in the USA. Final draft Research Report Delft University of Technology.
- Jonkman, S.N., Vrijling, J.K., Vrouwenvelder, A.C.W.M. (2008) Methods for the estimation of loss of life due to floods: A literature review and a proposal for a new method, Natural Hazards,Vol.46/3,pp. 353–389 [CrossRef]
- Jonkman, S.N. (2013a) Review of case histories. Working document
- Kolen, B., Kok, M., Helsloot, I. and Maaskant., B. (2012) EvacuAid: a probabilistic evacuation model to determine the expected loss of life for different mass evacuation strategies. Risk Analysis doi: 10.1111/j.1539-6924.2012.01932.x.
- Lindell, M.K. and Perry., R. (1992) Behavioural Foundations of Community Emergency Planning. Washington DC: Hemisphere.
- Lindell, M.K., Prater, C.S., Perry, R.W. and Wu., J.Y. (2002) EMBLEM: an empirically based large-scale evacuation time estimate model: Hazard reduction & recovery center Texas A&M University.
- McClelland, D.M., Bowles, D.S. (1999) Life-loss estimation: what can we learn from case histories. In:Proc. of the Australian Committee on Large Dams (ANCOLD) Annual Meeting, Jindabyne, New South Wales, Australia.
- Mileti, DS. Sorensen, JH. (2015) A Guide to Public Alerts and Warnings for Dam and Levee Emergencies. USACE
- Mens, M.J.P., van der Vat, M. and Lumbroso., D. (2008) A comparison of evacuation models for flood event management: Application on the Schelde and Thames estuaries. In Flood Risk Management: Research and practice, edited by 2009 Samuels et al(eds.). London: Taylor & Francis Group.
- Pel, A.J., Bliemer, M.C.J. and Hoogendoorn., S.P. (2008). EVAQ: A New Analytical Model for Voluntary and Mandatory Evacuation Strategies on Time-varying Networks. In Proceedings of the 11th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems. Beijing, China.
- Pel., A.J. (2011) Transportation modelling for regional evacuations, Delft University of technology.
- Peng, M. Zhang, L. M. (2012) Analysis of human risks due to dam-break floods—part 1: a new model based on Bayesian networks Nat Hazards (2012) 64:903–933
- Pleijter, G., Kolen, B., Jonkman, S.N., Bouwman., A. (2015) Slimmer evacueren door overstromingen. Magazine Nationale Veiligheid en Crisisbeheersing. P55–56.
- Penning-Rowsell, E., Floyd, P., Ramsbottom, D., Surendran, S. (2005) Estimating injury and loss of life in floods: A deterministic framework, Natural Hazards Vol. 36 No. 1-2 pp. 43–64 [CrossRef]
- Petruccelli, U. (2003) Urban evacuation in seismic emergency conditions. ITE Journal; 73(8):25–30.
- Smith, G. and McLuckie, D. (2015) Delineating hazardous flood conditions to people and property. In: Proc. Of FMA conference, Brisbane Australia. http://www.floodplainconference.com/papers2015/Grantly%20Smith%20Full%20Paper.pdf
- Sorensen., J.H. (2000) Hazard warning systems: review of 20 years of progress. Natural hazard reviewed 1:119–125. [CrossRef]
- Tapsell, S.M. and Tunstall, S.M. (2008) ‘“I wish I’d never heard of Banbury”: the relationship between ‘place’ and the health impacts of flooding’. Health & Place(forthcoming June 2008) Vol. 14 (2), 133–154. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- USACE(2011a) HEC-FIA, Flood Impact Analysis Software, Draft certification report, November 2011
- van Zuilekom, K.M., van Maarseveen, M.F.A.M. and van der Doef., M.R. (2005) A Decision Support System for preventive evacuation of people. Geo-information for disaster management,edited by Zlatanova Van Oosterom, P., Fendel, S., E. M.: Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Vinet, F., Lumbroso, D., Defossez, S., Boissier, L. (2012) A comparative analysis of the loss of life during two recent floods in France: the sea surge caused by the storm Xynthia and the flash flood in Var. Natural Hazards April 2012, Vol. 61/3, pp 1179–1201
E3S Web Conf.
Volume 7, 20163rd European Conference on Flood Risk Management (FLOODrisk 2016)
|Number of page(s)||7|
|Section||Loss-of-life estimation and modelling|
|Published online||20 October 2016|