- Nye, M., Tapsell, S. & Twigger-Ross, C. (2011). New social directions in UK flood risk management: moving towards flood risk citizenship? Journal of Flood Risk Management, 4:288–297. [CrossRef]
- UNECE (1998) Convention on access to information, public participation in decision-making and access to justice in environmental matters. Aarhus, Denmark: United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
- Water Framework Directive (2000). European Community
- European Community (2003). Common Implementation Strategy for the Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC). Guidance document No. 8: Public participation in relation to the Water Framework Directive.
- Directive on the assessment and management of flood risks (2007). European Community. 2007/60/EC
- Environmental Impact Assessment Directive (2011). European Union.
- Williams, R. (2011) Getting to the heart of the Big Society. WEM - the Environment Magazine. London: Chartered Institute of Water and Environmental Management
- Putnam, R., Feldstein L. & Cohen D. (2005). Better together: restoring the American community. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Day, G. (2006) Community and everyday life. Abingdon: Routledge. [CrossRef]
- Arnstein, S. R. (1969). A ladder of citizen participation. Journal of the American Institute of Planning, 35, 216–224 [CrossRef]
- Carr, A. (2002). Grass roots and green tape. Principles and practice of environmental stewardship. Sydney: The Federation Press,
- Tritter, J. & McCallum, A (2006).The snakes and ladders of user involvement: moving beyond Arnstein. Health Policy, 76, 156–168. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Pitt, M. (2008) The Pitt Review: Learning lessons from the 2007 floods. London: Defra.
- Smith, D. H. (2000) Grassroots associations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Gooch, M. (2005). Voices of the volunteers: an exploration of the experiences of catchment volunteers in coastal Queensland, Australia. Local Environment, 10(1), 5–19. [CrossRef]
- Sarason, S. (1974). The psychological sense of community: perspectives for community psychology. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
- McMillan, D. & Chavis, D. (1986). Sense of community: a definition and theory. Journal of Community Psychology, 14, 6–23. [CrossRef]
- Rochester, C., Ellis-Paine, A. & Howlett, S. (2010) Volunteering and society in the 21st Century. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. [CrossRef]
- Einolf, C. & S. Chambré. (2011) Who volunteers? Constructing a hybrid theory. Int. J. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing,, 16, 298–310. [CrossRef]
- Maslow, A. (1943) A theory of human motivation. Psychological Review, 50, 370–396. [CrossRef]
- Ockenden, N. & Hutin, M. (2008) Volunteering to lead: a study of leadership in small, volunteer-led groups. London: Institute for Volunteering Research.
- Wenger, E. (1998) Communities of practice: learning, meaning and identity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. [CrossRef]
- Checkland, P. & Poulter, J. (2006) Learning for action: a short definitive account of soft systems methodology and its use for practitioners, teachers and students. Chichester: John Wiley.
- Environment Agency (2011). Corporate Plan 2011-15 Bristol: Environment Agency.
- Twigger-Ross, C., Orr, P., Brooks, K., Sadauskis, R., Deeming, H., Fielding, J., Harries, T., Johnston, R., Kashefi, E., McCarthy, S., Rees, Y. and Tapsell, S. (2015) Flood Resilience Community Pathfinder Evaluation: Final Evaluation Report: London: Defra, October 2015
- Cutter, S.L., Barnes, L., Berry, M., Burton, C., Evans., E., Tate, E., and Webb, J. (2008) A placebased model for understanding community resilience to natural disasters, Global Environmental Change, 18, 598–606. [CrossRef]
E3S Web Conf.
Volume 7, 20163rd European Conference on Flood Risk Management (FLOODrisk 2016)
|Number of page(s)||8|
|Section||Public education and engagement|
|Published online||20 October 2016|